Table of Contents
Here is a list of free software that I highly recommend and typically install on freshly formatted PCs.
- Audacity - Audacity is a free, easy-to-use, multi-track audio editor and recorder for Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and other operating systems. The interface is translated into many languages.
- Exact Audio Copy - Exact Audio Copy is a so called audio grabber for audio CDs using standard CD and DVD-ROM drives.
- Freemake Video Converter - Freemake Video Converter converts video between 500+ formats and gadgets!
Convert to MP4, MP3, AVI, MKV, iPhone, Android. Convert YouTube to anything. Absolutely free. No trials or limitations.
- iTunes - iTunes is the best way to organize and enjoy the music, movies, and TV shows you already have — and shop for the ones you want to get. You can even tune in to Beats 1 radio, presented by Zane Lowe and a team of acclaimed DJs. Enjoy all the entertainment iTunes has to offer on your Mac and PC.
- Lightworks - The professional editor for everyone. Lightworks is EditShare's Academy and Emmy award-winning, professional Non-Linear Editing (NLE) software supporting resolutions up to 4K as well as video in SD and HD formats.
- MakeMKV - MakeMKV is your one-click solution to convert video that you own into free and patents-unencumbered format that can be played everywhere. MakeMKV is a format converter, otherwise called "transcoder". It converts the video clips from proprietary (and usually encrypted) disc into a set of MKV files, preserving most information but not changing it in any way. The MKV format can store multiple video/audio tracks with all meta-information and preserve chapters. There are many players that can play MKV files nearly on all platforms, and there are tools to convert MKV files to many formats, including DVD and Blu-ray discs.
- VLC Media Player - VLC is a free and open source cross-platform multimedia player and framework that plays most multimedia files as well as DVDs, Audio CDs, VCDs, and various streaming protocols.
- Chrome - Google Chrome is a freeware web browser developed by Google. It used the WebKit layout engine until version 27 and with the exception of its iOS releases, from version 28 and beyond uses the WebKit fork Blink. It was first released as a beta version for Microsoft Windows on September 2, 2008, and as a stable public release on December 11, 2008.
- Firefox - Mozilla Firefox (commonly referred to simply as Firefox) is a free and open-source web browser developed by the Mozilla Foundation and its subsidiary, the Mozilla Corporation. Firefox is available for Windows, OS X and Linux operating systems, with its mobile versions available for Android, and Firefox OS; where all of these versions use the Gecko layout engine to render web pages, which implements current and anticipated web standards, but an additional version released in late 2015 – Firefox for iOS has also been made available – that doesn't use Gecko.
- Zone Alarm Free - Stops internet attacks at the front door and catches thieves on their way out. Proactively protects against inbound and outbound attacks while making you invisible to hackers.
- Dropbox - Dropbox is a file hosting service operated by Dropbox, Inc., headquartered in San Francisco, California, that offers cloud storage, file synchronization, personal cloud, and client software.
- FileZilla - FileZilla Client is a fast and reliable cross-platform FTP, FTPS and SFTP client with lots of useful features and an intuitive graphical user interface.
- Google Drive - Get access to files anywhere through secure cloud storage and file backup for your photos, videos, files and more with Google Drive.
- Thunderbird & lightning extension - Thunderbird is a free email application that’s easy to set up and customize - and it’s loaded with great features!
- Apache Openoffice - open-source office productivity software suite.
- Foxit PDF Reader - Foxit Reader is a multilingual freemium PDF tool that can create, view, edit, digitally sign, and print PDF files. Early versions of Foxit Reader were notable for startup performance and small file size
- Netbeans - a software development platform written in Java. The NetBeans Platform allows applications to be developed from a set of modular software components called modules. Applications based on the NetBeans Platform, including the NetBeans integrated development environment (IDE), can be extended by third party developers.
- Sublime Text - sophisticated text editor for code, markup and prose.
- Notepad++ - a free source code editor which supports several programming languages running under the MS Windows environment.
- Skype - an application that specializes in providing video chat and voice call services. Users can exchange text and video messages, files and images, and create conference calls.
- Cutewriter PDF Maker -
Portable Document Format (PDF) is the de facto standard for the secure and reliable distribution and exchange of electronic documents and forms around the world. CutePDF Writer is the free version of commercial PDF converter software. CutePDF Writer installs itself as a "printer subsystem". This enables virtually any Windows applications (must be able to print) to convert
to professional quality PDF documents - with just a push of a button!
- Jing - a screencasting computer program launched in 2007 as Jing Project by the TechSmith Corporation. The software takes a picture or video of the user's computer screen and uploads it to the Web, FTP, computer or clipboard. If uploaded to the web, the program automatically creates a URL to the content so it can be shared with others. Jing is compatible with Macintosh and Microsoft Windows. Users must sign up for an account before using the software.
- Test Disk - TestDisk is powerful free data recovery software! It was primarily designed to help recover lost partitions and/or make non-booting disks bootable again when these symptoms are caused by faulty software: certain types of viruses or human error (such as accidentally deleting a Partition Table). Partition table recovery using TestDisk is really easy.
- 7-Zip - Open source Windows utility for manipulating archives. Formats 7z, ZIP, GZIP, BZIP2 and TAR are supported fully, other formats can be unpacked.
- AVG Free - Essential antivirus that detects, blocks and removes viruses and malware
- CCleaner - the world's leading PC Cleaner and Optimization Tool.
- SyncBack - windows backup software to backup and synchronize your files and data. See what makes this the best backup software.
- Teamviewer - Elegantly simple and extremely fast remote support, remote access, online collaboration and meetings; these are the tools for an interconnected world limited only by your imagination.
- Auslogics Disk Defrag - the best free disk defragmenter software that will speed up your hard drive and computer's overall performance by optimizing file system.
- Malwarebytes Anti-malware - Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an application for computers running under the Microsoft Windows and Apple OS X operating system that finds and removes malware. Made by Malwarebytes Corporation, it was first released in January 2008.
- Revo Uninstaller
- Steam - Steam is an Internet-based digital distribution platform developed by Valve Corporation offering digital rights management (DRM), multiplayer, and social networking. Steam provides the user with installation and automatic updating of games on multiple computers, and community features such as friends lists and groups, cloud saving, and in-game voice and chat functionality. The software provides a freely available application programming interface (API) called Steamworks, which developers can use to integrate many of Steam's functions into their products, including networking, matchmaking, in-game achievements, micro-transactions, and support for user-created content through Steam Workshop.